1. One must bathe before going before the Gods. This is to cleanse not only the body but the soul as well.
2. The mind must also be cleansed of all distractions. Only with a clear mind can you comminicate with the Gods.
3. I always re - consecrate the altar with a Thor's hammer before starting the ritual.
4. I like to wear at least one article of clothing that represents the style of our ancestors. I wear a Viking Tunic.
5. No alcohol or drugs of any kind should be used before the ritual takes place.
6. Because most of my rituals are held inside, I like to play a CD with nature sounds. I like a thunderstorm myself.
7. I use five candles for this ritual. Two blue for the male Gods and two pink for the female Goddesses, and a larger white one.
8. I like to burn incense during my rituals as well.
9. Wine, Mead, or Beer, should be readily available on the altar in a decanter so as to be used to pour into the horns.
10. For this ritual I place only one weapon on the altar. I have a viking sword called, Odin's sword, that I use for this ritual.
11. Before beginning any rite I like to read through it, and get the feel of it. Mine are written in Modern Runic.
Setting the tone : ( I actually got this from a Wiccan book )
To be said out loud : Once again we bask in the harmonious balance of light and dark. The sun crosses the celestial equinox for the second time this year, only this time heading south. Winters approach is felt as we notice the shortening of the days and the harvest is brought into the home. The light is leaving us and the sun begins to spend less and less time above the horizon. We measure the fruits of our labor and celebrate the bounty of the harvest as we brace for the coming cold.
Lighting of the candles( incense can be lit before the ritual begins ):
To be said out loud : ( Blue candle ) Here I light a candle in honor of the Dwarf, Nordri, who holds up one corner of our sky. We thank him for his effort which is endless ! ( Pink candle ) Here I light a candle in honor of the Dwarf, Sudri, who holds up one corner of our sky. We thank her for her effort which is endless. Repeat for Austri ( Blue) and Vestri ( Pink ). Move to the larger white one and say: Here I light a candle in honor of all the Gods and Goddesses of Vanaheim and Asgard, may it light their way to this humble altar in this humble abode.
Calling of the Triad : ( My praise for the below Gods and Goddesses is much longer during my ritual but space does not allow me to print it all. Just say what is in your heart when you call them )
Place your hand over your Thor's hammer and say out loud : Red bearded warrior, great defender of Asgard and Midgard, listen to our call. Join me here on this special day great one. As your Mighty hammer gives you strength, let that strength flow through us here this day.
Place your hand on your forehead and say : O wise Odin, All - Father to both men and Gods, listen to our call. Join us here on this special day. Let the wisdom you so dearly earned flow through us here this day.
Place your right hand on your opposing shoulder and say: Beautiful and magical Freyja, listen to our call. Join us here on this special day. Let the magic of your warm heart flow through us this day.
Calling of The Gods and Goddesses of the season: ( These are up to you ):
Say out loud : At this time we call the following Gods and Goddesses to join us here at this humble altar.
Freyr, great Vanir God , ruler of rain and sunshine. We call upon you to be with us, and a part of us, here at this time.
Sif, great golden - haired Goddess of the harvest. We call upon you to be with us, and a part of us, here at this time.
Jord, great provider of our every need, We call upon you to be with us , and a part of us at this time.
At this point you meditate in silence for the the Gods and Goddesses to arrive. When you feel their prescence you proceed. Do not be disappointed if one or more do not attend. It is their way.
Next : Part two : Pouring of libations and praising of the Gods and Goddesses.